
Hello again. So, October has been good :) Fun stuff. And November is almost here! (Can you believe it? Me neither!) I love October and November-they are high on my list of amazing months. Good stuff happens in these months. I'm especially excited for November because I'M GOING HOME FOR THANKSGIVING! Wahoooo! I was planning on not going this year, actually. After my trip in May I decided that I spend too much time, money and energy going home. Yes, it's totally worth it, but really, it's exhausting sometimes. And the emotions-ah! Anticipation of going, Being there and splitting time between soo many people (all of whom I love!) and tearing away to come back to my own life here, its just draining. So I came up with a genius (at least in my opnion) idea that after all my trips to go there, my family should come to Utah to see me. *Aaahhh* (Those are angels singing : ] ) Unfortunately, no one-except for my super supportive little sister Ali-agreed with me. 'But it's easier for one person to travel than for five' was my mom's argument. It makes sense but it's not what I wanted to hear, so I persisted. I said I refused to go there until they came here just once. There are so many things in Utah I want to show them. My life, for one, and the mountains, and the malls and the restaurants, everything! I have so many plans for us, so many fun things for us to do together, but they wouldn't reason with me. So, my dad stepped in (he's pretty diplomatic) and said that he would buy my ticket home if I would simply get the time off and get on the plane. How could I argue with that. I'm a pretty independent person and I hate parents paying for things, but this was just too hard to turn down, so I caved. And now I"m suuuppppeeerrr excited! I can't wait to see everyone and spend Thanksgiving at home-where my heart is! ♥ Ok, this post isn't about me going home though, but rather one preparation before I go....I need a haircut! I decided right before I go home would be the optimal time because I want to look good when I go to So. ILL. :)
So...I never had long hair growing up. It was super long and beautiful when I was about 3 or 4-just gorgeous with banana curls and all, but apparently I didn't take very good care of it. I didn't like brushing my hair very much, so my mom told me if I didn't take care of it, she would cut it. For the longest time I kept it short and didn't do much with it. Not that I didn't try, I just have very difficult hair. It's naturally wavy, very thick and sometimes unruly. I love it now, but thats just because I've learned to manage the unmanageable :) (If that applied to every aspect of my life, I'd be a much happier person but thats a whole other subject....) Anyway, so for the longest time I kept it short and then in Jr. High and High School I would grow it out only for a certain period of time and then chop it short. And the coloring, ah! I know some people my age who have never colored, dyed or highlighed their hair. I kind of envy them. I first colored my hair in 6th or 7th grade. I preferred red then. :) But, to get to my point, most of the changes with my hair, chopping it short, coloring it unnatural colors, revolved around emotions; err, rather boys. I didn't really recognize this pattern until February of 2007. Yeah, it took me a while :] I had had this huge thing for this guy I worked with and crushed on him for a while, until in February, right before Valentine's Day I came to the realization that it just wasn't going to work, he wasn't interested. And the first thing I did was went and chopped all my hair off. Granted it was a way cute haircut, but that was the first thing I wanted to do? Weird. Then I traced back the pattern, everytime I wanted to impress someone or show them I was better off without them, I had either cut my hair way short or colored it. Blonde highlights seemed to be an ongoing theme too... Interesting. So what is with this emotionality of hair? It's pretty obvious that women are attached to their hair, but why? And why so much? Does our hair really define who we are? And so now I've been growing out my hair, it's getting longer and longer, probably at the longest I've ever had it, since the 3 year old banana curls (and yes, I brush it these days : ] ) So what does that mean, if anything at all? I'm interested to hear what you think. I've heard from others that they are emotional hair choppers so I know it exists outside my own sphere but why do we do it? Maybe it's one of those unanswerable questions of the female kind, but I was just wondering and thinking about it. Hm....
By the way, I'm planning on cutting it before I go home and this is what I want it to look like.... It's Meg Ryan from the movie The Women (excellent movie, I loved it!) and I love how it can go straight and curly. She pulls it off flawlessly. Just ignore the facial expression :)








You're very astute to catch that pattern in yourself! Maybe the growing hair means...more confidence? More contentment? I don't know. But in order for me to give good advice on a hair cut, I think I need a current Amy picture!I haven't seen you in forever!
ReplyDeleteDear Amy Gooden, Love of my heart, You're awesome ^_^
ReplyDelete